Sunday, April 5, 2020

Bahar, the Lucky by Rashin Kheiriyeh - OPTIONAL

Bahar, the Lucky by Rashin Kheiriyeh. PICTURE BOOK. Reycraft, 2020. $18. 9781478869078

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: LOW

A young girl weaves rugs in the Grand Bazaar of Kasham, but earns little money for her efforts. When she has a bad run in with the wife of the king’s chief fortune teller, she thinks her rug weaving days are over. She manages to reinvent herself as a fortune teller. Even though she herself doesn’t believe any of the nonsense she spouts, those who hear it find ways to believe.

I loved Kheiriyeh’s bright illustrations, but I think the story loses something for me because of my lack of knowledge of Middle Eastern story-telling. I would love to hear from someone who understands better than I do.

Cindy, Library Teacher, MLS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...