Saturday, March 9, 2019

Nine Months Before a Baby is Born by Miranda Paul - OPTIONAL

Nine Months Before a Baby is Born by Miranda Paul, illustrated by Jason Chin. PICTURE BOOK. Neal Porter Books (Holiday House), 2019. $19. 9780823441617


BUYING ADVISORY: EL(K-3), EL - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

A soon-to-be-big sister and her parents are excited about the baby coming to their home. For 9 months they plan and prepare as the baby--accurately illustrated on the lefthand pages month-by-month--grows inside mom's womb. Following the story, there are informational pages giving more detail about the development of babies.

I didn't particularly like this book while also recognizing its value to families who want to help children better understand pregnancy and all that entails. The illustrations are impressive and I guess the accompanying pictures of the family getting ready for baby add some emotional oomph to the whole thing. But overall I found the book a little lacking. I also question whether I'd want my kids reading this book on their own in a school library; I'd prefer to discuss all of this material together as a family.

Reviewer: TC



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...