Saturday, March 16, 2019

I Got the Christmas Spirit by Connie Schofield-Morrison - OPTIONAL

I Got the Christmas Spirit by Connie Schofield-Morrison, illustrated by Frank Morrison. PICTURE BOOK. Bloomsbury, 2018. $17. 9781681195285

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: LOW

The language of this book follows a repetitive pattern to explain how a little girl of color experiences the Christmas spirit. “I shivered as the spirit nipped my nose. I sang the spirit from my heart.”

The illustrations in this book feel alive and energetic, realistic and still playful. But beyond that the appeal of this book doesn’t extend very far. The story alone is slow and lacks a culminating moment.  

Jen Wecker, HS English Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...