Wednesday, February 20, 2019

A Bike Like Sergio's by Maribeth Boelts - ESSENTIAL

A Bike Like Sergio's by Maribeth Boelts, illustrated by Noah Z. Jones. PICTURE BOOK. Candlewick Press, 2018 (First Paperback Edition). $7. 9781536202953.


BUYING ADVISORY: EL(K-3) - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Ruben's family doesn't have a lot of money, so his desire to have a bike just like his friend, Sergio, might very well stay unfulfilled. But one day he finds $100 that drops from a lady's purse. At first he is excited at the prospect of the sort of bike that money could buy, but then he begins to consider how the woman who lost the money feels. Ruben eventually returns the money and learns not only the value of money, but also the value of making a good choice.

I wasn't halfway through this book before I knew it was an essential pick--there's a reason some books make it into paperback! This is an excellent story that teaches some incredibly important lessons without making it mundane or preachy. I love the story, I empathized with Ruben, and I also enjoyed the simple illustrations. This is a book I'll be sharing with my own kids quite happily.

Reviewer: TC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...