Saturday, February 16, 2019

I'm Done! by Gretchen Brandenburg McLellan - ADVISABLE

I'm Done! by Gretchen Brandenburg McLellan, illustrated by Catherine Lazar Odell. Holiday House, 2018. $18. 9780823437054.

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K, EL(K-3) - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: LOW

A young beaver is tasked with building a dam but his paltry efforts keep getting interrupted by friends and other exciting adventures. Each time he drifts away, his parents bring him back to complete his task. Beaver eventually realizes the importance of a job well done and finishes the dam to form a beautiful pond.

This is a nice story and the illustrations are my favorite part. The story itself lends itself to the "I need to teach kids an important lesson about working until we finish something!" but I don't think a lot of young readers would love this book on their own. My son loves animals and enjoyed seeing Beaver's various friends but the lesson required me to point it out a bit. Still, this would be a good option to have in libraries.

Reviewer: TC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...