Sunday, January 24, 2021

Alone by Megan E. Freeman - ESSENTIAL

 Alone by Megan E. Freeman, 416 pages. Aladdin (Simon). 2021. $18. 

Content: G 

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS - ESSENTIAL 

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH 

12yo Maddie wanted a secret sleepover with her best friends, but they both bailed on her. When she wakes up the next morning, her whole town is deserted. What happened?! She is able to piece together that there was an emergency evacuation, but everyone left their phones behind, so there is no way for her to actually contact anyone. Very slowly Maddie learns how to survive this new reality. She makes mistakes, endangers her life, finds companionship in a neighbor’s left behind dog – but as a one year, two years, pass, she also has to deal with the loneliness. 

I sat down and read this in one sitting. Written in verse, it is a very quick read and very engrossing. I do have SOOO MANY QUESTIONS, because once you’re finished, there are glaring logic holes, but as I ponder them, I also realize I don’t care. I loved reading the book and that experience is what matters most. I will be using this as a book club book because I want to hear what the kids have to say. 

Cindy, Library Teacher, MLS 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...