Wednesday, November 20, 2019

How I Met My Monster by Amanda Noll – OPTIONAL


How I Met My Monster by Amanda Noll and Illustrated by Howard McWilliam. PICTURE BOOK. Flashlight Press, 2019. $18. 9781947277090

BUYING ADVISORY:  EL (K-3) –OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

A prequel to the book 'I Need by Monster'. We meet the same boy from the original book, Ethan, as he discovers there are monster tryouts starting in his room. They objective is to scare him back into bed. Some of the monsters do better than others and one seems to be coming out in the lead. Will Ethan find just the right monster to live under his bed?

A fun book that takes a lighthearted stance on monster under the bed. The art is just fantastic. My first year as a librarian, I read the original book ‘I need my monster’ to a class of first graders, and there were tears, a lot of fear and tears. I kept it in the library but didn’t do a real aloud again. I feel the same here, I love the book, but the topic can be iffy depending on the child. I would hate to introduce the concept to a child who hadn’t heard about it already.

Reviewer: Stephanie MLS & Author

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...