Monday, October 21, 2019

My Singing Nana by Pat Mora - ADVISABLE

My Singing Nana by Pat Mora illustrated by Alyssa Bermudez PICTURE BOOK Magination Press 2019 $17 9781433830211 

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - ADVISABLE 

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE 

Billy's Nana lives with his family. She cooks empanadas with the grandkids and directs their summer play for the family, but lately Nana is forgetting things, and Billy is worried. When his mother explains that Nana needs more help now, Billy thinks of all the things they can still do together - like looking at his rock collection, eating ice cream, and of course the big show. 

We lost my mother to Alzheimers a few years ago. It was so hard to explain to my children what was happening because mom seemed fine sometimes and not herself most of the time. I wish I'd had Mora's beautiful picture book to share with them. Bermudez' illustrations are sweet - I love the faces, you can see how these children really love their nana.

Lisa Librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...