Tuesday, May 28, 2019

William Sheepspeare (Wild Bios) by Courtney Acampora and Maggie Fischer – NOT RECOMMENDED


William Sheepspeare (WildBios) by Courtney Acampora and Maggie Fischer.  BOARD BOOK. Silver Dolphin (readerlink) , 2018. $8.  9781684126194

BUYING ADVISORY: PRE-K –NO

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Readers learn about the life William Shakespeare as a character called William Sheepspeare, who is, as a sheep. Everything is infused with sheepy word plays like Anne Hoofaway (his wife), how he went to London (flocked) and became who we know him as today (a Baa-rd). Bright illustrations accompany.

This is the second book for this series I have reviewed and I am not a fan. I think they are fantastic for adults, as a humorous gift for an avid fan.  While I like that young readers get introduced to famous biographies, there a couple of things that bother me about this series. Its sort of disrespectful, after all if I accomplished amazing things, I would hate to think of myself portrayed as a pig or camel or some such thing. Additionally the word play would be so confusing for pre-k readers who are just trying to learn basic words to start with. The illustrations are adorable though.

Reviewer: Stephanie MLS & Author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...