Sunday, February 9, 2020

I Wonder by K. A. Holt - ESSENTIAL


I Wonder by K. A. Holt, illustrated by Kenard Pak. PICTURE BOOK. Random House, 2019. $18. ISBN 9781524714222

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) – ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Composed almost entirely of questions, or sentences that begin with the words of the title, this book is a lovely reflection of how inquisitive and curious children are. Do tires get tired? Do trees have dreams? Do cars and trucks speak the same language? I don’t know but I’d love to have a conversation with a five- or six-year-old about any one of the ponderings in this book. Kids’ questions are just that wonder-ful.

The style of the pencil and watercolor illustrations focus on what may have prompted the questions while inviting the reader’s imagination to soar as they contemplate possible answers. I can imagine a class using this book as a pattern to write their own I Wonder book.

P.K. Foster, MLS, elementary school teacher-librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...