Monday, January 29, 2024

Remember by Joy Harjo and Michaela Goade - ADVISABLE

Remember
by Joy Harjo and Michaela Goade
, PICTURE BOOK Random House, 2023. $19. 9780593484845 

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3), EL - ADVISABLE 

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE 

Based on a beautiful poem by poet laureate Joy Harjo, a child is encouraged to remember the moon, the stars and the sky, her parents, and all the things the earth provides. She is also connecting with her ancestors and looks toward the future. 

Sometimes the text and illustrations of a picture book are perfectly complementary, and this is a fine example. It was as though a wave of colors images and ideas were embracing me as I read. Oh, I wish I had more knowledge about Indigenous culture, I'm sure I missed a lot, as there were symbols memories, and allusions throughout. Certainly buying a copy for my library. The illustrations and setting are based on traditional art and stories of Indigenous People. 

Lisa Librarian 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...