Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Not He or She, I'm Me by A.M. Wild and Kah Yangni - OPTIONAL

Not He or She, I'm Me by A.M. Wild, illustrated by Kah Yangni
. PICTURE BOOK Henry Holt & Company (Macmillan), 2023 19 9781250818607 

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - OPTIONAL 

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE 

A nonbinary child goes through their day, doing all the things children do, and reminding the reader that they aren't defined by a pronoun. They are them, or just me. 

There was a disconnect for me which made the book difficult to read. I thought it would rhyme, it's written in lines that look like meter. Sometimes it rhymes other times it doesn't. An actual story was non-existent; the non-binary kid has friends and a loving parent but it didn't really do anything for me. The illustrations were ok. The main character and their mom are illustrated with brown skin. 

Lisa Librarian 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...