Thursday, November 15, 2018

I Don't Want to go to Sleep by Dev Petty - OPTIONAL


I Don’t Want to go to Sleep by Dev Petty, illustrated by Mike Boldt.  PICTURE BOOK Doubleday (Random House), 2018.  $17.  9781524768966  

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - OPTIONAL 

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE  

Frog does not want to go to sleep for the winter.  He wants to go ice skating, take naps by the fire and play.  However, as Owl nicely explains, frogs freeze in the cold temperatures.  Frog convinces all of his friends to burrow in the mud with him so he can go to sleep.  

This is a cute story about not wanting to hibernate.  I was very interested to learn that frogs burrow into the mud to sleep out the cold weather, but when I researched a little further I think this book has a faulty explanation.  The explanation in the book says that frogs sink to the bottom of ponds and burrow into the mud, but the internet explains that they only burrow into the mud, or if they are aquatic they only sleep at the bottom of ponds.  They don’t do both.  Anyway, that made the book optional for me.  The illustrations are bright and attractive and I think kids will want to pick this book up.  

C. Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...