Wednesday, December 21, 2022

The Beloved Folk Song I's the B'y illustrated by Lauren Soloy - OPTIONAL

The Beloved Folk Song I's the B'y illustrated by Lauren Soloy.
PICTURE BOOK Greystone (Deborah Sloan). 2022. $19. 9781771648332 

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - OPTIONAL 

AUDIENCE APPEAL: LOW

Lauren Soloy has illustrated the lyrics to "I's the B'y" a traditional Newfoundland folk song about dancing and fishing and eating. 

Includes sheet music to sing it yourself, and a great explanation of the meaning of some of the things in the song including the connections between the illustrations and the culture and traditions of Newfoundland. I's the B'y would be a good way to teach the song to a class.  However, AJ was really put off by a title she couldn't figure out how to read, even when I explained it's a dialect and means "I'm the Boy" this 7-year-old wasn't interested.  I'd recommend this purchase if you have a specific use for it, but I'm not sure kids will pick it up.  

Lisa Librarian and AJ (age 7)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...