Saturday, January 19, 2019

My Heart by Corinna Luyken - ESSENTIAL


My Heart by Corinna Luyken.  PICTURE BOOK Dial Books for Young Readers (Penguin), 2019.  $18.  9780735227934  

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3), EL – ESSENTIAL; MS, HS - ADVISABLE    

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH  

This poetic look at what the heart is has simple lines with amazing yellow and black illustrations.  “My heart can be closed or opened up wide” is one of the many simple yet profound lines found in the book.  The illustrations show little kids among illustrations that create a feeling.  

As I read this to my son, I found us reading slower and softer because the book pulls feelings about dreaming, heart break, joy or fear.  This review doesn’t do the book justice.  I also think this book would be fun to use as a prompt in a middle school or high school English class.  

C. Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...