Monday, May 18, 2020

My Bison by Gaya Wisniewski - NO

My Bison by Gaya Wisniewski, PICTURE BOOK Princeton Architectural Press, 2020. $18. 9781616898861 

EL (K-3) - NOT RECOMMENDED  

A little girl befriends a Bison. It spends the winter with her, but returns every year. As she grows old, their friendship continues until one day, he doesn't return, but she realizes, now an old woman, that he will always be with her. 

While I understand the spirit of the story, I couldn't get past the idea that a small child is not only approaching a wild bison, but spoon feeding it and cuddling with it. Not a great message to send to a child. Bison are unpredictable, dangerous animals. The fanciful pictures of the bison in a bed, by the fire, drinking tea were strange. I hoped it would be "all a dream" It wasn't. My Bison is difficult to recommend.

Lisa Librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...