Friday, September 28, 2018

The Snow Lion by Jim Helmere - OPTIONAL

The Snow Lion by Jim Helmere, illustrated by Richard Jones.  Peachtree, 2-18.  $18. 9781682630488

BUYING RECOMMENDATION: EL (K-3) - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

When Caro moves to a new house in a new town, her first friend of a snow white lion who she finds in the white walls and ceilings of the empty rooms.  As they play together, the lion encourages Caro to meet new people, try new things, and even though they love each other, one day they inevitably part.

I tried to love the Snow Lion as a make believe friend or mentor, I really did.  I loved the illustration with their dreamy color palette. And I loved the message as the Snow Lion gives Caro the lessons and the encouragement that she needs to make friends of her own and grow away from him.  I just think that as an adult I like better than a child will.  

Cindy, Middle School Librarian, MLS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...