Saturday, January 25, 2020

Christmas Tree Book by Tomie dePaola - OPTIONAL

Christmas Tree Book by Tomie dePaola. PICTURE BOOK. Holiday House, 2019. $18. 9780823442386.

BUYING ADVISORY: EL(K-3), EL - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: LOW

This is a reprint of a 1980 dePaola book titled The Family Christmas Tree. As a family goes out to chop down a tree and decorate it for the holidays, the parents explain the history of Christmas trees.

I love Tomie dePaola as an illustrator and author so I was really hoping to love this book. I liked it, but I did not love it. The book is packed full of interesting tidbits about Christmas trees and their history, and it has the wonderful dePaola illustrations. But its not that entertaining and my kids found it really long as a read aloud. I think this is a good pick for libraries to have for the sake of information, but its not a book you'd readily pull out for fun holiday reading.

Reviewer: TC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...