Monday, March 21, 2022

Not Enough Lollipops by Megan Maynor and Micah Player - NO

Not Enough Lollipops by Megan Maynor, illustrated by Micah Player
. PICTURE BOOK. Knopf (Random), 2022. $18. 9780593372562

BUYING ADVISORY: NO

AUDIENCE APPEAL: LOW

Alice has won a wagonful of lollipops in the school raffle. She wants to share with everyone on the playground, but the kids are worried there aren’t enough. Several kids try to cut others out of the distribution., but Alice insists that everyone who wants one can have one – until they run out.

I’m a little torn – the greed of the children is quite distressing. And the ways that some kids want to cut out others is disappointing. I would guess that is probably the point. You would only want to read this book if you are trying to make a point. I want a picture book to teach me, to amuse me, to make me laugh – this didn’t do any of those – instead it made me sad. Utahn Player’s illustrations. With their lollipop colors and diverse cast of characters, are the highpoint here.

Cindy, Library Teacher, MLS 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...