Sunday, November 20, 2022

Boobies by Nancy Vo - OPTIONAL

Boobies
by Nancy Vo
PICTURE BOOK, NON-FICTION Groundwood. 2022 $20. 9781773066929 

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - OPTIONAL 

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH 

Mammals have mammary glands - boobies. Boobies produce milk. Different animals have different numbers of them, humans are mammals, they only have two. It's something everyone has.

I was sure this was a book about Blue Footed Boobies - it had to be, right? Well, Boobies is a celebration of Boobies - the mammal kind, not the bird. Honestly, I think kids would find this funny as well as informative. It's certainly silly, and a great launch for a discussion about breasts, with either a boy or a girl. The illustrations are accurate but not so realistic that it feels inappropriate. However, I don't think I would necessarily recommend Boobies as a purchase for a school library. I shared my copy with our health teacher who LOVES it!

Lisa Librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Kiss the Book Jr.!

Welcome! Kiss the Book Jr. is for board books, picture books, early readers, and chapter books.  Also, any novels and non-fiction that we ag...